Saturday, December 22, 2007

BENT

Bent on what? Bent out of shape? Sometimes we get bent out of shape over small trivial things. I think that I tend to rationalize that I get bent on "small" things as an outlet for keeping calm cool and collected over the "big" things. When someone is choking, I remain calm and execute proper procedures. When the dishwasher has not been emptied, I may react in a less than calm cool and collected manner. What gives? I think we usually get bent when we sense a lack of control. It might be easier to accept that we do not have control over someone choking than someone not emptying the dishwasher. It may, however, be just as important to recognize that we really have no real control over either someone choking or someone not emptying the dishwasher. But we do have control over how we react to each of these. One situation may seem more important than the other. One may be important in saving ones life. The other may have importance in shaping ones life. I pray that I have understanding of the importance of the "small" reactions and actions I have and make each day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sean, I have enjoyed your posts. It is so nice to hear your POV... and such a blessing your family has such unity of purpose and spirit. We all struggle with desire to control others' choices. I pray often that my "first reaction" will be what God would do, rather than my afterthought ~ bless you all on Friday. Sounds like God has laid the foundation for this expanded family. :-)