Thursday, January 31, 2008

10 Random Things

1 I just made my Girls unload and reload the dishwasher since it was loaded in such haphazard way that not much would be cleaned. I explained that this was a lesson in doing things right the first time (can a father sound like his mother?).

2 Today was a great day! Totally ordinary with no surprises. Went to breakfast at IHOP with some really great guys. Went swimming. Got a lot done at work[at home]. Spent some time with the kids. Went running. Now I blog. After the blogging Kim and I get to spend some time together watching the much anticipated season premier of LOST. Learning to appreciate each and every day. The small joys really add up when you learn to recognize them for the gifts they are.

3 While living in Vermont, while recovering from the debacle that was the beginning of a long college career [7 years and three schools for undergraduate degree], my friend Jim drove us off an icy mountain road through the air [the silence of a flying car is an interesting sound] and into the river. We did not actually land in the water but landed on top of another car that ran off the road hours earlier. It was strange stepping out of a car onto the top of another[that used to be a really nice 442].

4 My friend Jesse and I once[1990ish] walked through the subway sytem under the streets of North Philly. I mean the subway system, not the stations. What were we thinking? see next random thought.

5 My friend Jesse and I once[1990ish] road bikes across the Ben Franklin Bridge from Philly to Camden to see if we could find a money machine in Camden NJ [we did not find any]. The unemployment rate in Camden was around 30% at the time.

6 My friends Peter, Wade and myself once[2005ish] road bicycles down Skyline Drive in the dark without lights. It was actually one of the most exhilerating experiences of my life. It is a good thing I have someone watching out for me.

7 Laura, who will do an Iron Man first?

8 In 1994 [maybe 1993] there was an ice storm where everything was encased in ice. Kim and I decided it would be a good time to trek across Manayunk [in Philly] to visit her aunt. We literally had to slip and slide by pushing off of objects to propell ourselves. It was really fun.

8 My random thoughts seem to have taken a linear aspect so. . . the other day I was thinking about Pi. Pi not pie. I do not feel the need to defend that. Anyway it occured to me that even as "advanced" as we are we still can not determine the exact area of a circle or volume of a sphere. We are getting closer and closer as we have our computers solving Pi 24/7. I guess we cant solve all our problems on our own?

9 If all the people on earth disappeared today, the pryamids and the writing within and cave paintings will out last the digital information we have today.

10 Mom, Dad, Diana, the plastic red truck that was a companion to the blue car that was supposed to provide part of Dianas entertainment as we drove across the country, flew out the triangle window in Iowa, I think. Sorry you spent so much time looking for it.

If you have two number eights is it really ten thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am laughing so hard... there are tears running down my checks. Michael ran into the office after my first out burst of laughter to be sure everything was all right. And to answer your question... I hope we do it together. You name the place and the date. I'll be there.